Saturday, May 3, 2014

Stitch Fix #1 - May 2014

     So sometime last year I came across a friend's blog post talking about a new styling service called Stitch Fix.  After seeing multiple "fixes" of hers, along with doing some additional research, I decided to take the plunge and sign up!
 
I don't consider myself completely helpless when it comes to styling myself.  On date nights out I have the BEST clothes and accessories.  My biggest problem is finding day to day clothes.  I am a nanny, and my wardrobe mostly consists of going to work in sweats (no joke)- esp because I used to get painted on, spit up on, etc during the years.  But as the kids all get older I no longer feel I have to be in my grossest clothes at work.  I also have very limited time to shop (I am managing two households and a total of 4 kids schedules).  I can often buy one cute thing but not know always what to pair it with.  Or I know in my head what I like but I am not sure where to go buy it in a rush.
 
Stitch fix to the rescue!  The service basically works like this:
 
-sign up! it costs $20 each time you do it (as often as you like) but the $20 can be applied to anything you keep in your box.
 
-create a style profile by answering questions about your likes/dislikes and sizing.  TIP- give links to your pinterest style boards or write a good paragraph in detail saying what you like.  I did both, plus explained my job (no professional clothes for me) and also about our city (even date nights in Seattle are casual).
 
-select your first stitch fix delivery (usually will ship within 2 weeks)
 
-get your box!
 
-try everything on and keep what you love.  Make sure you look at the suggested outfits and accessory pairings on the style cards they give you.
 
-send anything you don't love back in the prepaid envelope.
 
-go back online to your account and "checkout" (pay for what you kept)
 
-done!
 
 
OK - so here is what I got in my Fix:
 
 
 
 
I was so excited to see my Stitch Fix box on my doorstep!  I pretty much rushed right inside and dove in! 
 
 
 
 
When you open your box everything is all wrapped up nice in tissue and there are very clear directions on the box about how it all works.  The prepaid mailing envelope is tucked at the top and your personalized cards and invoice are inside the envelope up top.
 
 
All the clothes in a neat little stack:
 
 
My invoice.  It breaks everything down by item and cost and tells you how much it would be if you kept everything in there (you save 25% by doing this!)
 
 
 
My style cards.  You get a couple of outfit suggestions per item that they send you.  The idea is that you would have some of these things in your own closet (or give you ideas of what to buy to pair it with).
 
 
 
 
 
 
So here is what I look like in my "normal" clothes.  My jeans are a little too long (so they are cuffed) and aren't the most flattering but I have done worse:)  Also, my mirror was dirty- sorry!  I noticed halfway through pics and had kids knocking on my door so I didn't have time to start over :)
 
 
 
The first item I went to try on were the skinny ankle length jeans by Kensie.  I was a little scared of the fact that jeans were in my box and was fully prepared to hate them and move on. Jeans can be so tricky to fit!
 
 
 
 
 
Kensie Sophia ankle length skinny jeans ($88)
Pros:  They were SO soft and stretchy.  An amazing basic and they fit so great.  I instantly looked slimmer.
Cons: The price.  I don't think I have honestly ever gotten jeans anywhere but Target or Old Navy so that was a little hard to justify.
 
 
 
Next to try was a white Ellison embroidered blouse.  I went in with an open mind:)
 
 
 
Ellison brooke white embroidered cotton knit shirt ($58)
Pros:  It fit nicely, and was high quality.  Would be great for a trip to Mexico or a beach vaca.
Cons: Just not my style.  I had indicated I liked some bohemian style in my profile so my stylist is not to blame.  I just am not hippie enough for this top!
 
 
 
Next I tried the Ezra Aztec print blouse which I was excited for (love the print!)
 
 
 
 
Ezra Tara Mixed material Aztec blouse ($48)
Pros: SO soft and light.  Cute tabbed sleeves and I liked the difference in the materials by the neckline. Not too loose and not too fitted.
Cons: I think this is dry clean only which can be a pain...
 
 
 
The last top I tried on was a coral colored blouse by Under Skies. It was a great coral color but I wasn't sure about the shape of this top.
 
 
 
Under Skies McKenna crochet detail blouse ($58)
Pros: LOVE the color.  So great for spring. I like the crochet detailing that runs up and down it.
Cons: very boxy for my shape.  I like more fitted clothes.  it also seems like I would have to iron it constantly.
 
 
 
My last stitch fix item was a striped maxi dress from Pomelo.  it seemed a little blah but I like the nautical theme of it.
 
 
 
Pomelo Fiona embroidery detail striped maxi dress ($78)
Pros: so soft and clung to my body without leaving me looking lumpy at all.  Liked the detailing at the neckline as well.
Cons: the price!  it was very expensive for a cotton dress.
 
 
 
So....what did I keep???? 
 
I kept 3 things out of the 5 that my stylist sent me!  I kept the blue Aztec blouse- perfect for a date night with my husband.  I kept the maxi dress- paired with a denim jacket and sandals and it will be a perfect summer outfit.  I also kept the jeans- they were so much money but I love, love, love them and am so excited to have a good pair of fitted ankle jeans for flats!
 
I gave my stylist great points for styling me so great!  I do think I will go in and change my profile to "no" bohemian though lol.  And next time ask for a skirt instead of pants. 
 
My next stitch fix is scheduled for June 18th! I also signed up for automatic monthly boxes. I did this because right now the waiting list for a box is 6-8 weeks (they are growing so fast and for quality boxes have to take their time!) - so this way I get one scheduled each month but I can always "skip" that box by going online (no charge) or push it out a little farther. But at least I know I have one coming if I want it! 
 
Do you want to try stitch fix?  use my referral link and I will get credit towards more clothes! (I recieved no compensation or my box for free for this review).

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment